March 09, 2008

Fleet Foxes

Fleet Foxes' self-titled album is one of the more soulful and organically beautiful albums I've heard in awhile. Almost sounds like an album that My Morning Jacket would make if all of the band members went to church on Sunday.

There are a few places on both this album, as well as their Sun Giant EP, where they create the "symphonic warmth" of Pet Sounds. The obvious example would be "White Winter Hymnal," but listen to "Quiet Houses" beginning at approximately 2:30 second--you'll understand what I mean. I know Brian Wilson comparisons are cliché for anything with a perceptible vocal harmony, but Pet Sounds is a legitimate comparison in this case for more reasons than just the vocal harmonies.

For example, I'm amazed by the complexity and quality of their arrangements. They use a variety of instruments, but all of them seem to have been thoughtfully chosen for a specific role in each song (sort've like the bass harmonica in Wilson's "I Know There's an Answer"). Each instrument is written and recorded in a way that allows the instruments to be enjoyed in isolation. And when the various parts come together with the percussion, vocal harmonies, and choruses, they're able to achieve an incredibly unique, living and breathing, wall of sound.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I read Pitchfork's review of their EP and was planning on buying this. I really like all of the harmony and guitar work. I think your Church-attending My Morning Jacket simile is pretty accurate. I am excited to give it a closer listen tomorrow.

I bought a fixed gear bike this weekend. I need to take some pictures and put them on our blog. Riding a fixed gear is like listening to music on vinyl. I will let you think about that.

Patrick Hall said...

Yeah, the harmonies are pretty thick.

Good luck with your lame bike.