June 18, 2008

The Vinyl Revolution

The age of mp3 piracy has produced at least one positive outcome: record companies are finally beginning to acknowledge the increased demand for vinyl by audiophiles who prefer the warm, rich sound of analog over the thin, compressed sound of digital formats like cds, mp3s, aac files, and every other dilluted format. To satiate the increased demand for high-quality records, EMI/Capitol have announced that they will be reissuing vinyl copies of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, as well as Radiohead's entire pre-In Rainbows catalogue. Combined with the vinyl reissue of M. Ward's Transfiguration of Vincent, it appears I will have no choice but to start redeeming the seemingly endless supply of Amazon credit card points I earned when I paid for my back surgery earlier this year. Maybe I should also break down and buy the $100,000 Continuum turntable I've been dreaming about for the past couple years?

2 comments:

Greg said...

Sometimes I think the money I have to borrow for school would be better spent on getting both of us the Continuum turntable. Here's to dreaming.

Patrick Hall said...

I've always felt that way. I would much rather have that turntable than watch you waste your time trying to live out your Grey's Anatomy fantasies.

By the way, is it just me, or does that picture that I posted make you want to listen to music more than anything in the world?