April 01, 2008

True Love Will Find You in the End

I've loved this song ever since hearing Wilco cover it for a b-side to one of the Summerteeth singles. But I never really understood the song's significance until hearing the original Daniel Johnston version unfold during the final credits of the documentary film, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, (which I recommend if you want to learn more about the amazing real-life story of Daniel Johnston, his music and art, his mental health issues, and his family's unconditional love for him). Although the song has been performed by almost everyone except Clay Aiken, I think the recent performance by Spiritualized tops all of them.

4 comments:

Greg said...

I think I still like Beck's version better. I know you will disagree but I thought it needed to be said. Didn't Jeff Tweedy do a cover of this song as well? Clay Aiken did cover this song. It was last year at the concert I went to...

Patrick Hall said...

It does need to be said that I disagree. Me and Noah could play a better version than Beck. Anyway, to answer your question, yes, Tweedy has performed the song several times.

Greg said...

I would have said that the three of you could do a better job, but I am still not confident in Noah's timing on the harmonica. If he is on, he is on. But when he is off, its unbearable.

Patrick Hall said...

I think I might have to break out the guitar and harmonica at FHE tonight.