February 19, 2008

For Emma, Forever Ago

"this is my excavation and today is kumran
everything that happens is from now on"

Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago was officially released today by one of my favorite music labels, Jagjaguwar. The album was actually self-released last summer, but quickly sold out all of its initial copies after scoring positive reviews from several bloggers and music critics between October and December of 2007. I bought the album last September following a recommendation from a music-nerd friend. He recommended the album to me shortly after I had lamented that the world needed a new Elliott Smith to come along.

I didn't actually listen to the entire album from start to finish until September 14, 2007, while taking a flight to Denver to see Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem at Red Rocks. Ironically, listening to For Emma on my flight to Denver was more memorable than seeing Arcade Fire (although my recollection might be different if I hadn't already seen Arcade Fire before). Bon Iver is certainly not Elliott Smith, but his emotional songwriting genius is similar. In addition, Vernon's vocals and lyrics far surpass the technical brilliance of Smith's. In fact Vernon's vocals evoke the godliness of Jeff Buckley combined with the soulfulness of Tunde Adebimpe from TV on the Radio.

According to Bon Iver's website, the name "Bon Iver" derives from the French words "bon hiver," meaning "beautiful winter." The misspelling was apparently intentional, although I don't claim to be smart enough to know why it was misspelled. The album was written and recorded by Justin Vernon between November 2006 and January 2007 in a remote hunting cabin in Wisconsin. Vernon apparently went to the cabin to find some peace and quiet after experiencing some difficult personal disappointments, but ended up writing and recording nearly the entire album during his stay.

The record was recorded by Vernon with nothing more than a few microphones and some low budget recording equipment. But the handmade nature of the album is part of what gives it charm. In fact, For Emma sounds like Vernon woke up early on an icy Winter morning, chopped some wood to carve out his own guitar, experienced personal epiphanies throughout the day, and recorded some songs in the evening, (while his hands were still tired and cold), in an effort to document his beautiful experience. Although the album sounds simple at first, repeated listens to each of the songs of the album reveal new sounds and new depths that confound me over and over. Clearly, the songs must have been growing in Vernon's heart and mind for a long time--perhaps it just took some peace and quiet, and a beautiful environment, to call them forth.

The lyrics to each of the songs would also suggest that Vernon spent a great deal of time pouring his heart into making the album. The line quoted above (underneath the album photo) is a only a glimpse into Vernon's command with words and ideas. I recommend spending as much time reading the lyrics as you do listening to the music.

1 comment:

Aliesha Jackman said...

Pat
I downloaded this from your website, I think. I couldn't remember how I even got the album. I LOVE it. It's the only thing I listen to on my laptop. I look forward to opening it each morning to hear flume begin..."I am my mothers only one.." Starts my day off right!!

liesh